Welcome

Welcome to my blog, random stuff about me and where I live, plus some bits about my jewellery.

Ley Holloway is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk

Monday 24 May 2010

New piece and dead bats

Yesterday I spent an hour and a half in the garden digging a bit more of the jungle. It gets taller every time of course and I managed to sting myself on some nettles I'd already dug out! When my husband got home from work we went down to the seafront for an ice-cream only to find that the van had gone home! We found that one of the harbour shops was still open so we got our ice cream, the van is the best in the area made by Hockings and is really delicious, hopefully there'll be plenty of other opportunities to indulge.
We went back out to the garden to lay some weed suppressing membrane when the air had cooled a bit and found a dead pipistrelle bat at the bottom of the garden, poor little thing. There are a number of suspects of the four legged variety around, and the bat's fur had a slightly matted look, as if it might have been in someone's mouth!

Here he is, these are the smallest bats in the uk but I think they're also the most common, apparently they are usually 3- 5cm long with a wingspan of 19 - 25cm. I've always thought they were really cute, but then I like mice too. I'm glad to know there are some bats around locally, not too surprising as we have a stream running past the front garden and a wildlife reserve at the back.



Meanwhile back at jewellery, I've put the lace piece on hold for a bit as I'm not sure where to go with it. I started this piece as a complete contrast and to go back to my usual style again. I had a sudden inspiration and it's growing onto the torque like seaweed on a rock.


I'm quite pleased with it so far, let me know what you think. The other side will match more or less and I have plans for some dangly stuff at the bottom.

1 comment:

  1. Its looking good so far.
    How lovely to live close to a stream and a wildlife reserve.
    joy xx

    ReplyDelete

Ley Holloway's Fan Box

Ley Holloway on Facebook