Welcome

Welcome to my blog, random stuff about me and where I live, plus some bits about my jewellery.

Ley Holloway is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk

Wednesday 5 May 2010

New Lace piece

I've started another piece using lace. This time the centre is really large piece of agate which I bought as a rather ordinary brooch from my local collectors market. It has fascinating pattern of swirls in shades of golden brown with faint greenish streaks. The lace is a wide coffee coloured piece with thick embroidered flowers and loops.

I've photographed it among the chaos of my beading mat, showing some of the beads I'm using. There's quite a wide slelction and all sizes from quite large old white beads to tiny ones, some of which I can't get on the needle properly, I have to be very selective with those. I'm influenced by a book I found in our library stack it's a book about Roman ruins in Libya, have a look at this mosaic (the third one down called 'fishing'), it is astounding in it's delicacy and realism. The colours of the stone are the colours of this agate with soft blue greys and dull reds. The plan is to embroider beads onto the net between the embroidery, trying to give the feel of the old mosaics and worn plaster of the roman buildings, As the lace is very wide I plan to create pleats in the top edges to creat a curve. I'm hoping this will echo the carved pillars. I think it will be quite special when it's done, I hope so anyway. I've discovered copper clay recently, I understand you can fire it with a torch so I might make some embellishments with that if I can afford to buy some.

3 comments:

  1. hi ley, your new piece looks lovely, and I love the chaos of your beading mat.
    you have a link to your redbubble site on the left which is actually over the top of some of the wording in your blog so I'm not able to read the first couple of words on each line.
    joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy, it doesn't cover the text in my browser, That's annoying if it does that in some others, what browser do you use? I'll have to contact Google about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog via UKHM and wanted to say how beautiful and unique I think your work is. It must take hours and hours! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Ley Holloway's Fan Box

Ley Holloway on Facebook