Welcome

Welcome to my blog, random stuff about me and where I live, plus some bits about my jewellery.

Ley Holloway is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk

Wednesday 4 May 2011

May Day in Ilfracombe

Monday Ilfracombe celebrated May Day. It's a relatively recent tradition, although I'm sure it is actually a revival.
It was a really cold morning, freezing wind off the sea, but here are some pictures of the parade and maypole dancing.

Town Crier, Roy Godwin, leads the procession.


Several Morris groups took part including a ladies clog Morris group and these black faced ones.

Junior and infant school children dancing round the maypole.



Having wound it one way, they dance it back again.

A chilly day but much enjoyed. Following the dancing and festivities, the 'Jack' is taken down to the beach and stripped of his greenery, unfortunately I missed that, I got so cold waiting for the parade that I chickened out and went home!

1 comment:

  1. This was such as great day out, thank god it did not rain :), my family had a great time definitely coming next year

    ReplyDelete

Ley Holloway's Fan Box

Ley Holloway on Facebook