Welcome

Welcome to my blog, random stuff about me and where I live, plus some bits about my jewellery.

Ley Holloway is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk

Friday 10 February 2017

Update on the jewellery front.

I've been shamefully neglecting this blog recently, so here's a general catch up on what I've been up to with my jewellery and stuff.

I still haven't finished the big sea inspired piece with the lace, it's a lot further on but still not finished.

This is the stage it's at now, I may have to adjust the lace a little in order for the piece to hang correctly when worn. We'll see when the other half of the actual necklace is made

I've been playing with copper and silver recently, fusing the silver onto copper shapes with a blow torch.






All of these will be in my Folksy shop if you're interested, a couple already are, follow the links.

This stuff is huge fun to make but very unpredictable. It involves blasting the silver with a blow torch until it looks shiny and starts to run. You have to take it through that cherry red stage and out the other side. The trick is to catch it just at that point where it still looks like a piece of silver rather than a puddle, but melts enough to fuse to the copper. I'm getting better at it but it still plays up sometimes.

The third one down is interesting because it's using a failed silver clay piece. I made some moulds from very fragile shells and tried to recreate them in silver clay, all but one broke when I tried to polish them so I tried using one of the failures this way, very pleased that it worked.
I buy the copper shapes, they are incredibly cheap so why bother making them?
Fine, or pure silver works more easily but it's more inclined to disappear into a puddle too.

Most of this year has been taken up with decorating, or rather renovating, my living room. More about that in another post perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ley Holloway's Fan Box

Ley Holloway on Facebook